This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Sharing rental income between spouses

SimonA
Sharing rental income between spouses

Postby SimonA » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:27 pm

Hi there,

My wife and I jointly own a property that we have been letting out since August 2016. Based on the salary from her job, my wife is a basic rate tax payer earning £40k a year where as I am a higher rate tax payer. My question is, what are the rules governing how we apportion the rental income and allowable expenses from our property between us? Can we apply £2,999 rental income to my wife, thereby ensuring she is still a basic rate tax payer and then apply the remaining income and all allowable expenses to myself? Alternatively, if we share the rental income and allowable expenses 50:50, would she be pushed in the higher rate of tax and therefore, we would both pay the same tax anyway?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
SimonA

maths

Re: Sharing rental income between spouses

Postby maths » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:22 pm

As the property is jointly owned the default tax position is that you are each taxed on 50% of income/expenses.

If you wish to vary the % rental income on which you are each taxed then you need to jointly execute a declaration of trust specifying the % beneficial interest you are each to own which dictates the % rental income you are each entitled to (eg 90/10; 95/5; etc). Form 17 would then need to be lodged with HMTC.

Return to “Property Taxation”