This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT Loss on an investment in a quoted co that delists/liquidates?

steve234
CGT Loss on an investment in a quoted co that delists/liquidates?

Postby steve234 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:53 pm

A few years ago I invested an amount in Betex Group Plc (in a normal trading account so not in an ISA or any other tax wrapper) through Hargreaves Lansdown. It was unsuccessful and ended up delisting but continued to exist. I believe a couple of years ago it went into liquidation. If so

1)am I now able to claim CGT tax relief on this investment ?
2) if yes , what do I need to do as proof to claim the CGT loss e.g. statement from Hargreaves Lansdown as proof of holding (as I didnt have a share certificate) and proof of liquidation (??)
3) is there any time limit which I should have done this??

Any help much appreciated

Any advice much appreciated

SteLacca

Re: CGT Loss on an investment in a quoted co that delists/liquidates?

Postby SteLacca » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:28 pm

I assume that the investment was by way of share purchase. If the shares have now become of negligible value then you may be able to make a negligible value claim, which will create a loss that is available to set off against general income (not just against gains). More information at https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... anies-2016

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”