This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Changing from non dom to domiciled

thegeographer
Changing from non dom to domiciled

Postby thegeographer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:31 pm

Hi

I'm non British born and filled in my self assessment for the last financial year (2015/16) claiming the remittance basis as a non domiciled individual for less than 2000 pounds of foreign income.

This year, due to a change in intention/more certainty over my stay in the UK, I wish to have myself treated as domiciled. I've never filled out a form or anything justifying my non-domicile in the UK, so it has purely been on the basis of my intention.

A few questions:

1) is HMRC likely to question the change in domicile from one year to another?

2) could they retrospectively argue that I need to change my status for last year as well? If so, how would that work?

I note that my non UK income is very small - less than £50 per year so I am less concerned about the tax liability and more concerned about doing the self assessment correctly and avoiding any troubles with HMRC

bd6759

Re: Changing from non dom to domiciled

Postby bd6759 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:02 pm

Just stop claiming to be non-domicled. HMRC are not going to argue over such a small amount of income. Domicile enquiries are expensive.

AGoodman

Re: Changing from non dom to domiciled

Postby AGoodman » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:48 pm

You don't need to change your domicile status (it might be useful in future), just disapply the remittance basis.

If you are filing a return then you can elect for the automatic remittance basis not to apply (s.809(1B) ITA 2007) and include the income.

"(1B) Condition B is that the individual gives notice in a return under section 8 of TMA 1970 that this section is not to apply in relation to the individual for that year.]"

Or remit the income during the year so that the remittance basis doesn't apply.

Return to “Income Tax”