This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Non-domicile parents and sibling

matohak
Non-domicile parents and sibling

Postby matohak » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:24 pm

I have a close friend whose whole family holds British Citizen passport.
My friend lives in the UK but the rest of her family (parents and a brother) has lived overseas all their lives.

Under such condition, I wonder how would inheritance tax be calculated?

Since her parents and brother has lived overseas all their lives, it seems to be clear that her brother won't be taxed over the parents' estate.

Will IHT only be applicable over the portion of the estate that is due to be split to UK domicile beneficiaries?
What happens if she declines her parents' inheritance such that her brother receives all the inheritance?

RMC

Re: Non-domicile parents and sibling

Postby RMC » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:55 pm

Your UK-resident friend will not be liable to IHT if she inherits on her parents’ deaths. IHT is paid only by the estate of the deceased, not by beneficiaries.
It may however be a good idea to give up inheritance if requested by in a better position to care for the estate.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”