This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Sale of land with planning permission

Buckswizz
Sale of land with planning permission

Postby Buckswizz » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:00 pm

Hi
My wife and her brother inherited some land back in 2009 a developer has applied for planning permission on their behalf which is almost certain to be granted next year. So there is a big liability for cgt as the value is likely to exceed £1 million. Could they alleviate their exposures by forming a ltd company and transferring the land before it gets planning permission? I was also advised that cgt on land was taxed at a max of 20% rather than 28% does anyone have any experience in this please? Thanks in advance

maths

Re: Sale of land with planning permission

Postby maths » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:49 pm

The fact that the land has planning potential means that any transfer to a company will be at market value which will take into account planning potential even if no permission has been actually granted.

CGT roll-over relief will not be available.

CGT gift relief will also not be available.

SDLT may be applicable.

CGT rate should not exceed 20% so long as there is not, and has not, been a residential dwelling on the land (otherwise rate would be a maximum of 28%).

Buckswizz

Postby Buckswizz » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:04 pm

Many thanks for your advice!!

Buckswizz

Postby Buckswizz » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:07 pm

Many thanks for your advice!!
Although my wife owns a property she rents out and we rent our residence, we do not own it. So hopefully sdlt won't be applicable

maths

Postby maths » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:14 pm

My reference to SDLT was a bit curt; it should have read that any transfer of the land to a company where company and transferor are "connected" (which is highly likely) does give rise to an SDLT charge based on market value.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”