This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

change to end of accounting period for foreign rental income

rbailey28
change to end of accounting period for foreign rental income

Postby rbailey28 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:11 pm

Hi,

For many years I have rented out a residential property in New Zealand. I have calculated income and expenses on an accrual basis to 5th April each year but would like to change to 31st March. Is this allowed? In NZ the NZ Tax Return is filed on a cash basis until 31st March each year. I have to convert NZ figures to sterling but on HMRC website they only provide average annual foreign exchange rates to 31st March and not 5th April. I also calculate income/ expenses on a commercial property I own to 31st March rather than 5th April and VAT Returns are also quarterly to 31st March. Advice would be appreciated as I want to do this for my 2016/17 SATR.

Thanks

bd6759

Re: change to end of accounting period for foreign rental income

Postby bd6759 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:37 pm

HMRC are not concerned about 5 days. It is quite common to use 31 March for simplicity.

Return to “Income Tax”