This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

PErsonal and corporate tax implications of living between UK & Spain

prmillerman
PErsonal and corporate tax implications of living between UK & Spain

Postby prmillerman » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:05 pm

Advice please.
My Wife & Son will be moving out to Malaga for 2 years to live whilst my son attends a tennis academy and potentially an international school/ home school. I work for a UK FTSE 100 company in a Global role with a small amount of travel. (Mostly web conferencing) but employed by the UK legal entity with my office based in the UK. (My wife does not work and my son is of school age)
I want to balance my time between working from UK & Spain to maintain a work life balance. I will live in my UK property (owned) whilst I am in the UK and rent in Spain on a long term rent. I have Spanish and UK bank accounts and will remain paid on UK payroll.
Initial conversation with my company want me to propose my working pattern over a typical 12 months and this comes out as 76 working days in Spain, 151 working days in UK with a total residency of 139 days in Spain and 226 in the UK.
I am quite confident I am OK from the residency and UK domicile that I remain a UK resident and tax payer and I will not register my Spanish address with the UK company, so I won’t receive any goods, services or hold any company assets at the location other than my work laptop and mobile phone which travel with me. I’m higher rate taxpayer and get no allowances.
Are there any tax liabilities for either me or the company from this proposal… they seem to be making a meal out of the request with unintended subsidiaries registered in Spain or tax leakage from the UK business.
Any help / advice or recommendation of someone I can ask.
I am a British national and my wife and son have dual nationality of British and Irish.
Many thanks

AnthonyR

Re: PErsonal and corporate tax implications of living between UK & Spain

Postby AnthonyR » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:12 pm

This forum tends to focus on UK tax advice and to double check the position you should probably get Spanish tax advice as well. If you want an intro drop me a pm and I can introduce you to an English Spanish accountant (a Brit based in Malaga providing Spanish advice) who I've used a couple of times with good effect.

Unless anyone else wants to step in?
Anthony Rogers LLB CTA TEP
Fusion Partners LLP
anthony@fusionpartners.co.uk

prmillerman

Re: PErsonal and corporate tax implications of living between UK & Spain

Postby prmillerman » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:28 pm

This forum tends to focus on UK tax advice and to double check the position you should probably get Spanish tax advice as well. If you want an intro drop me a pm and I can introduce you to an English Spanish accountant (a Brit based in Malaga providing Spanish advice) who I've used a couple of times with good effect.

Unless anyone else wants to step in?
Sent you an email for introduction.

Return to “International Tax”