This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

How Much Tax Would Anyone Pay On Multiple Gifts To Friends?

BIGJOHNSON
How Much Tax Would Anyone Pay On Multiple Gifts To Friends?

Postby BIGJOHNSON » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:42 pm

Hello Folks,
I wondered if you could help ?

I have two scenarios that i need advice on:

1).
I wanted to gift around 15 of my friends up to £6,000 each in the same tax year 2017 all at the same time.
The total amount i will gift is £100k.
I am confused about who pays what tax and the allowances.

Would any of them have to pay any tax on their gift, OR would I have to pay the tax for every gift, OR do both parties (myself and each friend) pay tax and what would the rate of tax be?

I thought that the £3000 allowance was for EACH friend but that doesn't seem to be the case.

2). On top of the above in (1). I also wanted to buy a car for my parent at a cost of around £10,000. What tax and rate of tax would either of us pay if any? This would also be included in the £100k as in 1 above.

the above funds are coming from a windfall...
I thought I would ask this in your forum for the benefit of other people as well, although I am happy to pay for the advice or make an appointment etc.
Many Thanks

AGoodman

Re: How Much Tax Would Anyone Pay On Multiple Gifts To Friends?

Postby AGoodman » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:04 pm

Anything over £6,000 (assuming two years' allowance) would be a potentially exempt transfer - so £94,000. This would only be subject to IHT if you failed to survive for 7 years.

If you did fail to survive, the £94k would be set against your nil rate band so (unless you have already made very substantial gifts), the recipients of the gifts would not pay any IHT but there could be more tax on your estate as a result. Effectively, your executors have a reduced nil rate band to set against the balance of your estate.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”