This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Marriage allowance Non UK residents.

jonathon1
Marriage allowance Non UK residents.

Postby jonathon1 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:58 am

My wife and I live in France. We both have our UK personal allowances of 11,500 per annum each. My wife has a government pension plus OAP and rental income so she pays tax on all of this in the UK and fills in a self assessment form each year. Her income is around 20,000 per annum so she pays tax on everything above 11,500.
My income consists of OAP of 6500 per annum plus private pension which is taxed in France. I m not using all of my tax allowance.
Can I claim marriage allowance? thereby transferring some of my unused allowance to her. Technically, I earn more than 11,500 per annum , but not for UK tax purposes as only my state pension s offset against my personal allowance.

AmanSood

Re: Marriage allowance Non UK residents.

Postby AmanSood » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:28 pm

Yes you should be able to transfer any unused allowance to your spouse. Try the below link which has further information.

https://www.gov.uk/married-couples-allo ... nformation
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

Return to “Income Tax”