This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

How to put new van on tax return

blackburnlad
How to put new van on tax return

Postby blackburnlad » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:51 pm

In my 2014/15 tax return I bought a van for £3995 and claimed the full Annual Investment Allowance. I sold that van for £1300 in July 2016.

In July 2016 I purchased a new van on Hire Purchase for £11,000. I paid approx. £2000 deposit and monthly finance payments. About 4 months later I settled the balance using a personal loan because the interest rate was a lot less. I am still paying monthly payments on the loan and have another 3 years left.

On my tax return I can see where to put the £11,000. Do I put the £1,300 in the "Total balancing charges - where you disposed of items for more than their tax value" box?

By doing this, does it mean that I cannot offset any of those monthly payments against future tax years, meaning I pay a lot less tax for 2016/17, but more tax for the next three years?

I am just not sure if I am able to put the HP interest payments on my profit/loss? Also, I paid the balance off with a personal loan, can I put those interest payments on my profit/loss as well?

Is there anything I need to be aware of? My profits for the year are over £11,000 so that should be ok?

pawncob

Re: How to put new van on tax return

Postby pawncob » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:25 am

Yes.
You can offset the interest element against tax.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “General”