This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax for joint ownership with mum house

Hyic
Tax for joint ownership with mum house

Postby Hyic » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:07 pm

This maybe a bit complicated and I have quite a few questions here so hopefully someone could kindly give some advice or at least where to seek help!!

I am the joint owner with my mum's £150k property in midland and she paid £126k about 20 years ago. My ownership is from my dad more than 10 years ago. He was panic about his heart problems at that time but he is still healthy enough to live now!! Both my parents are still living there and they are receiving pension credits.

Due to health issues, they want to move down to south and close to me and my sister. As everyone knows property prices in south has gone up crazy so they are going to sell their midland house as a deposit and my sister (first time buyer) will take a mortgage so three of them will live together. The new house (not purchased yet but likely around £280k) in south must of course has my sister's name (mortgage applicant) and may or may not adding my mum's name. I will definitely not put my name down because I'm a joint owner of the current house where I'm staying with my husband and children.

My questions​ are:
1. How much will be my CGT?
2. Will my mum need to pay any tax if she sell her midland house?
3. Will inland revenues think my mum's property selling as an "income" and loose their right to pension credits?
4. Should the new property has my mum's name on or not?
5. The selling price of midland house will be used as deposit, can be looked as "gift" from my mum and me, will my sister​ needs to pay any tax?

Sorry :!: Tonnes of questions

bd6759

Re: Tax for joint ownership with mum house

Postby bd6759 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:03 am

1. This depends on why your name is on the deeds on the Midland house. If you were put on the deeds for convenience there may be no liability, but if you were given a beneficial interest in the property, that is to say you are entitled to a share of the proceeds of the sale (whether or not you take the share, the test is your entitlement not what you do eith it), there will be a liability to CT based on the change in value of that share.

Disposal of a main residence is not liable to CGT. If your parents use the proceeds to buy a new main residence it should not affect their entitlement to pension credits.

There is no tax on gifts. It sounds like your parents' estate (their total wealth) is well below the inheritance tax threshold, so there shoud be no inheritance tax implications either.

Return to “Property Taxation”