This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

completing Form iht403

Jononothing
completing Form iht403

Postby Jononothing » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:50 pm

the hmrc site says that gifts out of income are treated as given by each individual - ie not pooled as between husband and wife.
I can separate out my income from my wife's but how are the family expenses which are paid from our joint account, split between us so that my element can be entered in the 403, when I gift money to my daughter?

AnthonyR

Re: completing Form iht403

Postby AnthonyR » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:29 am

The table on page 6 of the IHT403 is intended to be a guide to allow an inspector or the executors to identify whether gifts out of income should be exempt or not.

In terms of identifying joint expenditure, it's a bit artificial to try and identify how the mixed funds are actually spent once they go into joint account, but depending on how your family finances are set up I would either look at a simple 50:50 split or if there is significantly uneven split of income look to apportion the expenses according to your income split.

In reality it comes down to the arrangement that you have between you - however it's only really going to become relevant if the gifts out of income are close to resulting in exceeding your excess income.
Anthony Rogers LLB CTA TEP
Fusion Partners LLP
anthony@fusionpartners.co.uk

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”