This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK Tax on Interest from Savings

nirupa mayi
UK Tax on Interest from Savings

Postby nirupa mayi » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:43 am

I am very confused about tax on interest from savings. Is the interest from savings taxed separately or considered part of the Personal Tax Allowance? The total of my earnings and interest from savings combined is within my personal allowance. I also don't understand how fixed term interest bearing savings accounts are taxed..... I have 2 year/3 year and 5 year fixed term accounts which all pay interest at the end of the term. Am I supposed to declare interest earned every year, even though I'm not receiving it and the banks don't provide information about it?

maths

Re: UK Tax on Interest from Savings

Postby maths » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:47 pm

The total of my earnings and interest from savings combined is within my personal allowance.
Then you have no income tax liability on either source of income.
I have 2 year/3 year and 5 year fixed term accounts which all pay interest at the end of the term. Am I supposed to declare interest earned every year, even though I'm not receiving it and the banks don't provide information about it?
Interest is taxable only when it "arises". If interest is credited at, say, the end of each year albeit not actually paid out until the end of the relevant term (eg 2 years) the income tax liability arises at the end of each year ie when the interest is credited to the account.

nirupa mayi

Re: UK Tax on Interest from Savings

Postby nirupa mayi » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:04 am

Thank you for your lovely clear explanation. My confusion is gone. Very very much appreciated.

Return to “Income Tax”