This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Capital Gains on development site near home

Linda Clayton
Capital Gains on development site near home

Postby Linda Clayton » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:26 pm

In Nov 2016 we bought a property that was a former garden nursery with a four bed house on it, the site is around 1 acre in total. It currently has a building (steel agricultural looking thing) and car parking area with General Storage B8 and Retail A1 use, but we have had no business use for it, we’re using it for household storage and parking for our own cars, and I believe the nursery closed for business about 5 years ago.

To make matters a little more complicated, we have just got permission to build a B1 joinery workshop on the opposite side of the house for our business, Clayton Cabinets. The planning permission for that does not encompass the site I am referring to.

We are now considering applying for planning permission for a four bedroom dormer bungalow on the site (which is about one fifth of an acre) - we would sell the site with the permission, not build it ourselves. The idea is to raise some revenue to help get our new joinery workshop up and running, but I am wondering where we stand with regards to CGT?

We live in the house, with our two children. We bought the entire site for £420,000 and do not have a mortgage.

I am just wondering if it might be worth getting the usage on the 1/5 acre site back to residential use before we apply for planning permission/try and sell the site for development? As I understand it, you don't have to pay CGT if you are selling off part of your garden. Or is there another way to go about it?

bd6759

Re: Capital Gains on development site near home

Postby bd6759 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:05 pm

it doesn't sound like you are selling part of your garden.

Linda Clayton

Re: Capital Gains on development site near home

Postby Linda Clayton » Tue May 02, 2017 11:40 am

It is part of the garden - not a separately fenced off space - and is within less than half a hectare as per PPR requirements.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”