This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Sorry, I'm clueless, this is probably an easy Q

rowanjthomas
Sorry, I'm clueless, this is probably an easy Q

Postby rowanjthomas » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:22 am

Sorry if this is an obvious question but I really don't know the answer;

Basically I do freelance work, and sometimes the person who gets me work will ask for a cut; say 25% commission for providing me with the work. So let's say I earn £1000 on a job, I will pay the person £250 back. Now when it comes to my tax return, are my profits £1000 or £750? Is there somewhere where I can claim that £250 back as expenses or wages or something like that? Or does it fall outside of my business expenses somehow?

Explain it like you would to a 7 year old, cause I'm dense!

Thanks

bd6759

Re: Sorry, I'm clueless, this is probably an easy Q

Postby bd6759 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:08 pm

It is an expense that reduces your profit.

Your income is £1000. You deduct the expense of £250. Your profit is £750. You pay tax on your profit.

Return to “General”