This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT Liability Changing Ownership on BLT

Martintaxes
CGT Liability Changing Ownership on BLT

Postby Martintaxes » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:06 pm

Hi Taxationweb,

Firstly thank you very much for letting me sign up! I guess like most people, it is most helpful to get a perspective from experts on line before committing to going deeper into potentially complicated tax arrangements.

My wife and myself own a number of rental properties outright, as tenants in common, and they are supported by trust deeds. My wife owns 99% and I own 1%. Three of them are mortgaged by additional loans on our main residence. I am a high-rate tax payer so these trust deeds support HMRCs Form 17 declaration so that my wife takes on the tax liability for the rental income. I am now 52 and my wife is 48 and we are considering retiring in 5 years. At that point we may want to rebalance the ownership more in line with joint tenancy to apportion the tax liability more effectively. The rental properties are worth around £450k presently, and our main residence is of a similar value. I have a pension pot valued at £325k today and we both have some paid up occupational pensions to draw. I have read that if we change the ownership on the rental properties to a 50/50 basis then I will be effectively receiving a gift from my wife of almost half the value of the properties and this will be subject to 18/28?% CGT. Is this correct?

Furthermore I can see that owning the properties under this deed trust may be stacking up some IHT problems later in life? We have 3 children and would like to leave one house to each of them.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Best regards,
Martin.

someone

Re: CGT Liability Changing Ownership on BLT

Postby someone » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:32 pm

Transfers between husband and wife do not trigger CGT liabilities. They are done on a no gain/no loss basis.

(They might trigger a SDLT charge if there's consideration but as you say they are unmortgaged then that seems unlikely)

Martintaxes

Re: CGT Liability Changing Ownership on BLT

Postby Martintaxes » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:03 pm

That's very good news, thank you for this information.
Regards, Martin.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”