This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Complicated Situation

kiwitraveller
Complicated Situation

Postby kiwitraveller » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:07 pm

Hi there,

I am a New Zealand resident as well as a British Citizen. I recently moved to France to support my Fiance on a football contract.
I managed to pick up a full time job - working as a freelancer for a US company through the website UpWork.

I believe I am currently still a NZ resident as we have intentions of returning/family ties etc. But I have also lived in France for the past 6 months (with the possibility of staying another year)

Does anyone know whether I need to pay tax in France even though I am working for a US company? If I were to wire transfer my earnings into a NZ bank account, where would I pay tax?

Thanks!

AmanSood

Re: Complicated Situation

Postby AmanSood » Wed May 03, 2017 8:34 am

As you have spent 6 months in France you are likely to be tax resident in France. So you should be filing a French tax return and declaring any income earned from Upwork in France. If you are also NZ tax resident, then NZ may also want to tax you in which case you would need to review the France/NZ double tax treaty to work out who has the taxing rights and who would give you a tax credit so you don't suffer double taxation. However, as a minimum, you would also need to pay tax in France.
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

Return to “International Tax”