This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Overseas inheritance remit to UK?

option1
Overseas inheritance remit to UK?

Postby option1 » Thu May 04, 2017 12:57 pm

Hi everyone

I have inherited land in Hong Kong, some of which I wish to sell off shortly. I am a UK citizen and resident here. Upon sale and receipt of proceeds, will I be able to transfer some funds over to the UK without incurring tax? From what I understand, tax on worldwide income or gains are due as they arise. Since Hong Kong has no estate duties, does that mean tax is settled on this matter and that I am free to remit funds tax free to the UK?

Thanks.

maths

Re: Overseas inheritance remit to UK?

Postby maths » Thu May 04, 2017 2:24 pm

If you are UK domiciled (or deemed to be so) then on any sale of the land you are exposed to a UK capital gains tax charge on any gain made; the gain, if any, is the difference between probate value and market value on sale.

There will be no UK inheritance tax payable.

You are free to remit the proceeds whenever you choose.

Return to “International Tax”