This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

French property, UK resident - rental expenses

b2017
French property, UK resident - rental expenses

Postby b2017 » Thu May 04, 2017 11:20 am

Hi all,

I own a residence in France that was a holiday home and is now being rented out in a long term, fully furnished rental. I'm concerned about UK tax when depreciation allowance in France means that they will charge me no tax this year.

It's the first year and only covers a partial year of rent. There were significant expenses in readying the property and repairs during the first 6 months of tenancy.

I've discovered that the depreciation value (a percentage of the property value and a function of it being a furnished let) is greater than the rental income.

I'm advised by French accountants, that there will be no tax to pay in France because of that depreciation. So, I don't think I'll get any tax credit to offset the implications in the UK Income tax declaration.

Question is:

Will HMRC recognise the expenses that I DID have to pay and allow me to offset that against my income?

Thanks.
b.

maths

Re: French property, UK resident - rental expenses

Postby maths » Thu May 04, 2017 2:28 pm

Will HMRC recognise the expenses that I DID have to pay and allow me to offset that against my income?
In principle, yes.

The taxable profit is computed on UK not French tax principles for UK tax purposes. Hence, the French depreciation will not be deductible for UK tax purposes.

Thus, revenue (not capital) expenses incurred will be deductible against rental income.

Return to “International Tax”