This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Overseas income - work exemption confusion

majagaja
Overseas income - work exemption confusion

Postby majagaja » Tue May 09, 2017 10:19 am

Hello!

I am a bit confused and would like some advice on my tax.
I am employed in UK and tax resident here since 3 years (as I live here more then 183 days a year). I pay my taxes with PAYE.
My domicle is in antoher EU country (as my parents live there and I have a saving account there as well).

Now my question is:

Do I need to pay tax on/report my income from my domicle in UK?
All I have earned there last financial year (April 2016-April 2017) was around 60£ for writing an article for academic book. It was a subject to taxation in my domicle, but it was refunded to me, as it was such a small amount (below tax-free allowance). The same happened a year before that, but with slightly bigger amount (around 300£). I just assumed that with that small amounts and subject to taxation in another country I do not need to do anything about it in UK, but now I am not so sure...

Also I have some interests from my saving account there, but I do not bring them into UK (they just stay on my account and sometimes I used it to buy something when I am on vacation etc.) Interests are no more then 5 quid a month usually and I spend them instantly to pay for maintaining this account. Another thing is that my parents sometimes pay some small amounts on this account as a gift for me (few times a year, no more then 100£ at the time). Could this be considered an income?

Should I do something about it? When I was checking HMRC website I same across term 'Overseas work exemption' and I think that apply to me, so I should not need to do anything about it, but it is very confusing and I would really appreciate some advice.

Best wishes!
Maja

Return to “Income Tax”