This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Interest on Fixed Deposits in India is taxable in UK if not brought to UK?

mehul
Interest on Fixed Deposits in India is taxable in UK if not brought to UK?

Postby mehul » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:20 pm

Hi,

My wife and I have some fixed deposits (FDs) and pension policies in India. My wife is a homemaker (no earning) and I am a working professional (40% tax bracket). We both are UK Citizen and UK resident.

The question is - The fixed deposits give us about 7% interest in Indian Non Resident NRE account (which is tax-exempted account as per Govt of India). Also We DO NOT bring interest monies to UK. These monies stays in this NRE account in India and we reinvest them in to recurring FDs every 3 years.

It was my understanding that since we are not bringing INTEREST monies into UK, it is not tax liable in UK and I do not have to declare them as earnings (since they are not coming to UK). Further since Indian government has tax exempted this interest earning of NRE account (much like ISA in UK), it is not tax liable in UK EVEN IF I try to bring them in UK.

Is my understanding correct or flawed? Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Mehul

pawncob

Re: Interest on Fixed Deposits in India is taxable in UK if not brought to UK?

Postby pawncob » Tue May 09, 2017 12:32 pm

As you're UK resident for tax purposes, you're taxed on your worldwide income. The FDs might be tax free in India, but they're still taxable in the UK.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “International Tax”