This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT and Custom duty for dropshipping and Marketplace

sac0204
VAT and Custom duty for dropshipping and Marketplace

Postby sac0204 » Tue May 09, 2017 11:49 am

Hi,
I am about to start a drop shipping business and an online Marketplace (first drop shipping and then marketplace). For drop shipping, I will be importing products from China/HK using AliExpress and sell it to UK and other European countries using my website. I am not sure about VAT though -
  • 1. Do I have to register for VAT
    2. Do I have to register for import license?
    3. I will be a sole trader, do I have to pay the VAT on the products when customer order them and hit the UK or other EU countries' borders?
    4. If I am not supposed to pay VAT and customer is (as I am not handling the product), what is the best practice? Probably a note on the product page saying VAT is not included in the price?
    5. Who pays the custom charges?
Many thanks!

absolutevat

Re: VAT and Custom duty for dropshipping and Marketplace

Postby absolutevat » Wed May 10, 2017 11:08 am

Registration requirements will depend largely on how the goods are moving. From your post I presume that goods might be imported into the UK, or EU country of the customer?

If you are the importer of record (responsible for clearing the goods through customs), you would be seen as making the sale in that country. As EU countries have a zero threshold for non-established businesses, you potentially have a number of obligations. Of course, once registered in a country, you can recover the import VAT on the basis you make taxable supplies.

Further details on the movement of goods, and the status of customers would be helpful (i.e. all B2C sales?)

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”