This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Stamp duty advice

Jda
Stamp duty advice

Postby Jda » Tue May 09, 2017 10:29 am

Hello,

I separated from my ex-wife 2 years ago and moved out of the family home approx 20 months ago, I was then taken off the mortgage shortly after, this was agreed for by the bank and documents were signed to confirm I have been released from the mortgage, ex-wife now has mortgage in her name only, I have confirmation of this in writing.

My share of the property is classed as zero as an agreement between myself and ex wife.

When we purchased the property it was through a shared ownership scheme, the deed to the house still shows my name, my ex wife name and the two companies involved in the shared owner ship scheme.

I am looking to purchase a new house but I am worried about paying additional stamp duty as on title deed still , I am in the process of getting it removed asap.

Please can you advise on this type of situation - I have am in the view that I do not own any share of old house with ex wife so under £40,000 mark so would not need to pay additional stamp duty.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Jamie Hill

maths

Re: Stamp duty advice

Postby maths » Wed May 10, 2017 1:28 pm

The issue is whether you still own a beneficial interest in the property or not; being only on the legal title is not per se a problem.

If you do not have such an interest then the 3% is inapplicable to any new purchase.

If you do have such an interest then the 3% will apply on your new purchase but may then be reclaimable as and when you dispose of your interest in the former marital property (assuming of course new purchase is to be your new home).

Jda

Postby Jda » Wed May 10, 2017 1:32 pm

Thanks for the reply. My ex wife and I had an agreement that she would have the house, it was just a verbal agreement and then arranged the divorce which went through in Jan.

What would I need to prove that my share is zero? Would a signed letter between us be sufficient if and when required?

maths

Postby maths » Wed May 10, 2017 1:34 pm

Would a signed letter between us be sufficient if and when required?
No.

The solicitor acting for your wife would have updated the records at Land Registry which should confirm you no longer hold any interest in the property.

Jda

Postby Jda » Wed May 10, 2017 1:37 pm

ok, thank. I looked on Land reigstry and it shows my name on title - how can I check to see if it states that I have no share / interest ?

maths

Postby maths » Wed May 10, 2017 2:45 pm

Were solicitors involved in acting for you and wife with respect to the divorce or was it a DIY divorce?

If it was agreed that you would be transferring your interest in the home to wife this would have been contained in the divorce papers following which the title and beneficial ownership would then have been sorted out.

Jda

Postby Jda » Wed May 10, 2017 2:49 pm

It was just a DIY divorce that we did. Could I get a solicitor to draw an agreement up now confirming that I give up any share of the house and then file to change title deed to tenancy in commmon?

maths

Postby maths » Wed May 10, 2017 3:10 pm

I think it would be worth while consulting with a solicitor as it all seems a bit strange and on the face of it the Land Registry records do not reflect what you have said was agreed between the two of you.

Just for the record, legal title is held as joint tenants whilst the beneficial ownership can be held as joint tenants or tenants in common.

someone

Postby someone » Wed May 10, 2017 3:22 pm

I must say that I'm surprised that you managed to be released from the mortgage while still on the title deed.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”