This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on Property after divorce

elizabeth54
CGT on Property after divorce

Postby elizabeth54 » Wed May 10, 2017 5:13 pm

I divorced 20 years ago. My ex stayed in the house but I retained joint tenancy of the property. The house is now being sold and I have accepted an offer amounting to approximately 15% of the equity as a final financial settlement. Am I liable for CGT on the total equity or just my share ?

someone

Re: CGT on Property after divorce

Postby someone » Thu May 11, 2017 8:23 am

I think you will be liable to CGT on your share of the property that is being disposed of - which isn't necessarily the same as the share of the equity you are receiving.

If, as a result of the divorce settlement, you owned 15% then you will be liable to CGT on 15% of the gain (after allowing for any PPR you might have had originally). (Your ex probably has no CGT liability on their share as it will presumably have been their PPR)

But if you still owned 50% but are now gifting 35% to your ex as part of the final settlement then you will pay CGT on 50%.

OTOH, if you owned 5% but your ex has agreed to give you 15% in order to get rid of you from his life then you will only pay CGT on your share and the extra 10% will be taxable on your ex.

I think it will depend very much on what was in any divorce agreement originally. If, at the time of the divorce, your ex agreed to take on all liability for the mortgage then it might be possible to argue that you no longer owned 50%. If you are receiving 15% of the equity but the mortgage is 50% LTV then it might be possible to argue that you own 7.5% of the property which you are entitled to on disposal before any deductions for paying off the mortgage.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”