This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Paying rent to reduce IHT

Bowler
Paying rent to reduce IHT

Postby Bowler » Tue May 09, 2017 4:11 pm

My wife and I own our house as tenants in common. In mirror wills we are leaving our half to our two children.

The survivor is expecting to continue living in the property but neither our son or daughter will do so.

In order to reduce the IHT of the survivor (the total estate will be above the IHT threshold) it is intended to pay half the appropriate rent that the son and daughter would receive if rented to someone else. Any snags?

pawncob

Re: Paying rent to reduce IHT

Postby pawncob » Wed May 10, 2017 11:21 am

Not really. Search "gift with reservation" for examples
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

maths

Postby maths » Wed May 10, 2017 1:15 pm

Don't think there is any gift with reservation issues. Non-one has gifted an interest in property but still enjoyed the property gifted.

Children have simply inherited 50% of the property of the first deceased parent which they then own with the other surviving spouse.

The surviving spouse, as one of the tenant in common owners, has a right to occupation of the whole property even though children own 50%. Indeed, in principle the children may also possess a right of occupation. The surviving spouse is therefore under no obligation to pay any rent to the children. Any payments to the children purported to be rent may thus simply be interpreted as gratuitous payments (ie gifts).

As an aside, any rental income would of course (if it's rent) be subject to income tax on the recipient.

Property lawyers may correct me.

Bowler

Postby Bowler » Thu May 11, 2017 4:39 pm

Thank you. Although one lives abroad and the other is unlikely to exceed the personal allowance this does not seem to be a worthwhile strategy.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”