This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Registration

SF12659
Registration

Postby SF12659 » Sat May 13, 2017 5:51 pm

Folks, I can't seem to find an answer to this.

I have a shop, which is registered for VAT in my name. I understand that means I am the VAT centre, so when I restart my previous career as a freelance consultant I should charge VAT on my bills.

But my question is do I then submit my figures through the shops VAT return or do I need to register again and get a number specifically for the consultancy? (Even though on it's own it will be far below the VAT threshold but I know we need to look at me as a whole and include the shop) I am guessing the latter so it's reported to HMRC through the right industry code, but I can't seem to find a definative answer.

Thanks!

les35

Re: Registration

Postby les35 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:27 am

Since you are the registered 'person,' your VAT Returns will include shop and consultancy activities. You will continue to use a single VAT number.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”