This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Additional 3% SDLT & 'replacing main residence'

Swarner57965
Additional 3% SDLT & 'replacing main residence'

Postby Swarner57965 » Mon May 15, 2017 12:51 pm

Hi all,

I have recently split up with my girlfriend, she will be taking over our mortgage and so a transfer of equity is underway. I own a buy - to - let property and have done for years.
I am now looking to purchase a main residence but am confused as to whether or not my situation will require me to pay the additional 3% stamp duty or not as I am not actually selling a property - but I am replacing my main residence.

Can someone please help.

Thanks,

someone

Re: Additional 3% SDLT & 'replacing main residence'

Postby someone » Mon May 15, 2017 1:26 pm

You should not have to pay the additional rate as you are disposing of your primary residence. (You will have to pay and then reclaim if the purchase comes before the disposal)

You will have 3 years to buy a new main residence after transferring your share to your girlfriend.

N.B. Your girlfriend might have to pay stamp duty on half of the mortgage when she acquires your share. If she owns another property then that will be at the additional rate, otherwise it will be zero if the mortgage is less than 250K

Swarner57965

Re: Additional 3% SDLT & 'replacing main residence'

Postby Swarner57965 » Mon May 15, 2017 2:09 pm

'Someone'

thank you very much for your response....I was hoping that would be the case and very pleased it should be.

mortgage is 200k - so she should be safe there as well.

Thanks again - really appreciate it!!

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”