This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Advice for UK Freelancer getting US income

stuF
Advice for UK Freelancer getting US income

Postby stuF » Sat May 06, 2017 11:34 pm

HELP! I'm a self-employed UK freelancer (sole trader not ltd. company) and I'm in negotiations to take a contract for up to 14 weeks in the USA.

I'm trying to find out the most cost efficient way to get paid and what my options are. I have no experience of this :shock: so have no sense of how I will be paid, what the taxes will be etc. I'm liaising with my potential employer for details but want to ensure the advice they give is correct. My usual UK process is to simply invoice the full amount (with VAT) and then complete my UK tax return at the end of the year and VAT return quarterly.

I’m being offered a contract of 14 weeks and planning the following:
- 1 week will be consultancy from the UK - I'll invoice and will be paid into a UK USD account and transferred into my GBP UK account
- 1 week will be a trip to the US, 1x month before I'm due to go out - I'll invoice and will be paid into a UK USD account and transferred into my GBP UK account
- 12 weeks will be relocating there (with my family joining for 9 weeks) - I'll open a US bank account and invoice some of my earnings to be paid into that
- On return to the UK, I'll do a final invoice which will be paid into UK USD account and transferred into my GBP UK account.

Questions:
- Is all of the above the most tax efficient way to manage my income?
- What's the process for invoicing / payment in the US?
- Am I able to keep my self-employed status or is there an auto-tax system?
- Is there a way to remain self-employed and invoice / receive the full amount so that I can claim tax on all my relocation expenses which are around £20k?
- Does it make any difference that I'll be receiving and withdrawing some of the money in the UK, and some in the US?

Any help gratefully received! :D

DavidTreitel

Re: Advice for UK Freelancer getting US income

Postby DavidTreitel » Sat May 20, 2017 8:44 am

You need to discuss this urgently with a US immigration lawyer, because you may find yourself barred from entry into the United States if you are planning to work before you have a valid visa. From a tax perspective, all of the payments sound like employment income; subject to withholding.

Return to “International Tax”