This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Settlement/redundancy and tax overpayment?

Daniella W-L
Settlement/redundancy and tax overpayment?

Postby Daniella W-L » Fri May 19, 2017 8:53 pm

I may well be wrong but before I call HMRC I'd just like to check :)

In November I was given a settlement instead of redundancy as I was pregnant and my company were due to move location during my leave and I'd already said that I wouldn't travel the distance. The settlement included all my statutory maternity, any remaining holiday, my last month's salary, redundancy notice and redundancy payment, this all sounded very exciting till Mr Tax Man and Mrs Student Loan :lol:

I've had my P60 and I can't tell if I have overpaid on tax as it doesn't show my childcare vouchers being deducted or whether the total salary for the year is before or after the deductions?

This is the breakdown on my P60:

Total Income for the year: £19,422.37, includes a temp job role also (my usual salary being 16,000 and £243 childcare vouchers deducted every month)
Total tax for the year: £1,809.40

From what I can see on the salary calculator website even if my childcare vouchers had been deducted on £19422 I should have paid 1,684 tax so to me I'm pretty sure there was an overpayment but my husband thinks that perhaps the 19422 is AFTER the vouchers are deducted so he thinks my tax is ok? I did work a 3 week temp job before the end of the tax year and did have a refund of £502.80 so from my previous employer i paid 2312.20 then a refund of 502.80 leaves me with paying 1809.40, I'm really getting lost!

Any help or advice would be great, have I overpaid or not?

bd6759

Re: Settlement/redundancy and tax overpayment?

Postby bd6759 » Sat May 20, 2017 9:14 am

It would be useful to know
a) under what type of scheme your employer deducted the childcare vouchers, and
b) how much was deucted in the year.

Daniella W-L

Re: Settlement/redundancy and tax overpayment?

Postby Daniella W-L » Sat May 20, 2017 9:30 am

It would be useful to know
a) under what type of scheme your employer deducted the childcare vouchers, and
b) how much was deucted in the year.
Thanks, we used edenred - is that what you meant by scheme?
6 months (i think) @ 243 £1458

Return to “Income Tax”