This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Appropriating Inherited Property

Lulabel
Appropriating Inherited Property

Postby Lulabel » Thu May 25, 2017 10:21 am

Hi there
Before my single parent passed away they requested that the probate solicitors give me the option to take their house as my half of their estate; I understand that this is done via the process of appropriation.
I have a couple of questions
1) The solicitors submitted the lowest of 3 estate agent valuations to HMRC. I was concerned that this was too low & we might be subject to a fine as well as additional IHT if HMRC's district valuer thinks the property is worth more, but the solicitor did not seem to think it a problem
2) We have not been granted probate yet, but an estate agent looked at the house & reckoned it was worth 30-50,000 more than submitted probate value. If HMRC values the house for more, will we be subject to a fine and additional IHT?
3) if I do decide to take the house via appropriation, do I have to pay CGT on the increase in value? Do I have the right to take it at the new (DV) value? Or, can the solicitor & executor do another estate agent valuation, to get me to pay more for the house, if the estate agent's valuation is more? Are the wishes of the other beneficiary taken into consideration?
Also, can I, as a beneficiary, contest the dv's evaluation?

pawncob

Re: Appropriating Inherited Property

Postby pawncob » Thu May 25, 2017 11:16 am

It's normal for the DV to negotiate the declared value for probate. Exec's valuation is just an opening gambit.

No fines if value amended, but may be interest payable on increased IHT.

Your base cost for CGT is agreed probate value.

Depending upon IHT position, it may be advantageous for a higher/lower value to be agreed. If HMRC don't challenge the value, the submitted value will be used which may not be to your advantage.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Lulabel

Postby Lulabel » Thu May 25, 2017 1:14 pm

Many thanks for this
If you could clarify something?l:
Is the probate or HMRC/DV amended probate value the final sale/appropriation price? Or can the solicitors/executor/beneficiary put the property on the market for more? And increase the IHT owing even more?
Thanks!

maths

Postby maths » Thu May 25, 2017 1:36 pm

Once the DV (or HMRC) has agreed a value of the property that is the end of the matter for IHT purposes; in the language the property's value has been "ascertained".

Thereafter the executors can seek to sell the property for whatever value they can get.

The DV's/agreed value becomes the base cost for CGT purposes of those who inherit the property.

Property valuation is often a contentious area and before submitting an IHT return containing any proposed value care must have been taken in arriving at the figure adopted and HMRC/DV will typically ask for evidence to support the figure. Penalties may be levied but only where the executors are found to have been careless/negligent.

Lulabel

Postby Lulabel » Thu May 25, 2017 2:55 pm

Cheers!

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”