This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK Resident - Freelance Contract in France

Costanza
UK Resident - Freelance Contract in France

Postby Costanza » Mon May 29, 2017 5:38 pm

Hello,

I am a UK resident and currently am employed via PAYE and have carried out a small amount of freelance work as a sole trader in addition to this.

I have been offered a freelance contract in France which I am considering accepting but I want to broadly understand the tax implications of this first. I would no longer have my PAYE income if I did this so would be fully time self employed.

I expect the contract to last approximately 6 months, for the first couple of months I would be working in France and I would hire temporary accommodation (Airbnb, Spareroom, that sort of thing). Beyond that point I expect to split my time between France and the UK. I will still have my house in the UK throughout and do not intend to move to France.

What I am trying to understand is who I pay tax do in this arrangement? Do I need to file returns in both countries or can I just do it in the UK? I have read that there is a double taxation treaty between the UK and France, so regardless of who I end up paying tax to am I correct to understand I will only pay *either* the UK or France, but not both, for the income derived from this contract?

I hope this is an appropriate question and thank you for your time.

Thanks.

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: UK Resident - Freelance Contract in France

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Tue May 30, 2017 1:59 pm

Hi

If you are resident less than 183 days in France then you should be fine. You would pay taxes in the UK

I would try to avoid setting up in France as part from the administrative burden there is higher taxes and social security contend with as well

Kind Regards

GTA

Return to “International Tax”