This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Divorce after sold second property - is cgt still payable

Tingly
Divorce after sold second property - is cgt still payable

Postby Tingly » Mon May 29, 2017 7:59 pm

Good evening

If Live in a property with my husband
I am in the process of selling my second home which was my family home and in my name
I am liable to cgt on this and it will be payable as i understand in Jan 19 , as the sale will occur in the april17/18 tax year

My question is, if I get divorced during this time will i still have to pay the cgt?
The reason i ask is if i simply kept hold of this home as part of a matrimonial split their would be no cgt to pay.

Any advice gratefully received
Thankyou

Lee Young

Re: Divorce after sold second property - is cgt still payable

Postby Lee Young » Tue May 30, 2017 10:23 am

The CGT rules will apply to this disposal in the usual way; your divorce does not change that
Lee Young
Solicitor, Chartered Tax Adviser and Trust and Estate Practitioner

Partner, Frettens LLP
lyoung@frettens.co.uk
01202 491701

Tingly

Re: Divorce after sold second property - is cgt still payable

Postby Tingly » Tue May 30, 2017 9:02 pm

Thankyou for the response
In my mind i was thinking that if i divorced while i still owned it i could move in cgt free so therefore maybe they would let me off paying it if i sold it and bought a new home for myself after the divorce as it amounts to the same thing!

Thanks for the advice though- wishfull thinking by me!!

Return to “Property Taxation”