This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Stamp duty - main residence??

Lee337
Stamp duty - main residence??

Postby Lee337 » Wed May 31, 2017 4:32 pm

Hello,

I have looked through the posts and can not find our exact scenario.

Could you please help?

My girlfriend and I are about to buy a property together which will become our main residence. This is my girlfriends first property purchase. Presently she lives with her parents, I live separately in a flat that I own with a mortgage. I will not be selling my flat. The new property sale price is £226500 and we are not married.

My questions are as follows:

1. My circumstances have just evolved. I am not purchasing a second property to let out, to renovate and resell or even for a long term investment. Infact I am only keeping my first property as I still have negative equity on it since the crash way back!!!! As I will be living in the new property as my main residence do I still have to pay the higher rate of stamp duty?

2. This is my girlfriends first property purchase. Our names will both be on the deeds, I guess as a 50/50 share?!? If point 1 does not stand and the higher rate of stamp duty is required to be paid due to my circumstances, would that be on my 50% only. Therefore her 50% would be at the standard rate!?!

I look forward to your reply.

Thx

Lee

maths

Re: Stamp duty - main residence??

Postby maths » Wed May 31, 2017 7:39 pm

Yes, the 3% SDLT charge will apply. It applies to the whole purchase price (not just your 50%).

It is a second property for you and hence the 3% applies; you are not replacing your residence for another residence.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”