This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

HMRC Self assesment TAX

cornite87
HMRC Self assesment TAX

Postby cornite87 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:17 pm

Hello,

I received a few days ago four letters from HMRC. Indicating that I had not filled in self assessment forms for tax years ending 2014 and 2015?

As a result I had incurred penalties totaling £1200 for each year.

This has totally come as a shock to me. I have not received any other letters in the past from HMRC regarding Self assessment Tax payments.

I have only had one job but changed in August 2014 and then again in August 2015. It is the same job but I moved to a different location.

The tax year ending 2015 they sent me a Tax refund.

I find the fine a great deal of anxiety when I do not have that kind of money lying around.

Any advice and opinion on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

JRG

Re: HMRC Self assesment TAX

Postby JRG » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:25 pm

You need to give more details:

Had you completed a self assessment tax return (SATR) prior to the 2013-14 tax year?

Was your one job always with the same company, and was your tax reference the same throughout?

How was the tax refund for the 2014-15 refunded? Did you receive it direct from HMRC or through an adjustment on your payslip?

Have you moved home in the since 2013?

Some people have to complete an SATR even if they receive no request from HMRC. Check the HMRC website.

cornite87

Postby cornite87 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:48 pm

Hello,
THank you for the reply,

I have not completed a self assessment tax return prior to the 2013-14 tax year?
My Job is in the NHS, I moved to a different Hospital in the adjourning city.

HMRC sent me the Tax refund direct from themselves. I have moved around but I always give my HOME address as my main residence and anything to do with TAX. As I am conscious of letters going missing.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:13 pm

You need to check with HMRC to find out why they sent you tax returns to complete. If you explain your circumstances they may agree that you do not need to complete a return. In that case you can ask them to withdraw the notice. If they do that, it will be as if the notice was never given, and the penalties will be cancelled.

Nobody is required to complete a tax return unless given notice to do so by HMRC. The HMRC website simply lists the circumstances in which it will give notice to complete a return.

Return to “Income Tax”