This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on foreign bank account where no money passes between that and the UK

Matthew
CGT on foreign bank account where no money passes between that and the UK

Postby Matthew » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:51 am

I have money in an overseas, non-stirling, foreign currency bank account. Let’s call the currency Franxs (Fr). Money is staying in the bank. Money is not travelling back & forth between that country’s bank and my UK bank. I make use of the money whenever I visit that country, which is frequently.

HMRC know of the account, but their website has nothing to help me with the following.

The bank is busy (with my money) buying and selling shares all the time. (It’s the only option.) They tell me what they’ve bought & sold. Let’s assume that 1000 shares were once bought for 600Fr (the 600Fr being in the foreign bank account, and not being transferred from UK £ via an exchange rate to Fr), and this year all 1000 are sold for 800Fr (the 800Fr still remaining in the foreign bank, and not being transferred from Fr via an exchange rate to the UK and into £). At no time has money travelled between that country and the UK.

How do I work out the capital gain/loss in £££ to complete my HMRC tax return?

someone

Re: CGT on foreign bank account where no money passes between that and the UK

Postby someone » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:01 am

The election hasn't changed the answer you were given on Wednesday.

You convert the transactions to sterling and then calculate profit/loss for CGT (rather than calculate the profit/loss and then convert to sterling)

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”