This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT on exports (Non EU customer, delivery within EU)

robpierre
VAT on exports (Non EU customer, delivery within EU)

Postby robpierre » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:46 am

Hello everyone

We have a customer who is outside of the EU whom we sell goods to from the UK therefore the VAT is zero rated.
We have just received an order from them but the address this time is within the EU (Germany to be specific), I have contacted hmrc and looked at their online help but cannot get a straight answer on how to treat the VAT.

Is VAT payable at all? if so is this at the UK rate?

Many thanks
R

spidersong

Re: VAT on exports (Non EU customer, delivery within EU)

Postby spidersong » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:20 pm

Is your customer VAT registered within Germany?

If they're not then you'd lack the evidence needed to zero rate an intra EU dispatch and so would account for UK VAT in the same way as any other sale.

If they are VAT registered then get hold of their VAT number and show this on your sale invoice and keep evidence of the removal and you should be good to zero rate the intra EU movement.

I'm assuming here that the German destination is not merely a pass through destination either for processing into something else, or as a waypoint on their way out of the EU.

Ieko

Postby Ieko » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:28 pm

I have a similar situation. Company in Egypt is buying goods and asks to deliver them to France. However the company provides German VAT number. Is it enough for me to zero rate the goods ?

robpierre

Postby robpierre » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:16 pm

Thank you for the info spidersong!! Much appreciated

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”