This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Treatment of odd-lot realisations on consolidation

devnull
Treatment of odd-lot realisations on consolidation

Postby devnull » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:18 pm

I had holdings in a company listed on the LSE (not AIM) that had a consolidation on a couple of occasions.

Slightly unusually, the company gave me pro-rated new number of shares, and the "fractional parts" left over were sold on the open market collectively by the company, with the sales proceeds being distributed to the original holders proportionate to their fractional holdings. The total proceeds were small and incidental, circa £5, far less than the value of the original holding.

The question is: should these incidental realisations be treated as normal disposals according to usual CGT rules, or, more sensibly, should the remittances be deducted from the cost of the shares as you would do in, say, the case of a rights issue?

pawncob

Re: Treatment of odd-lot realisations on consolidation

Postby pawncob » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:43 pm

With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”