This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Stamp Duty on Inherited Property

Paulcox74
Stamp Duty on Inherited Property

Postby Paulcox74 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:02 am

Hi,

Just doing some inheritance planning and wondered if someone could help.

When my mother passes away I will inherit her property as detailed in her will (in my name only). I understand I wouldn't have to pay any Stamp Duty in that situation.

However, at that point I will look to register in mine and my wife's names jointly in order to then have any rental income paid to her as a basic rate tax payer (having completed a declaration of trust/form 17). Would we then be liable for Stamp Duty as we're registering in joint names rather than just my name as designated in the will?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

someone

Re: Stamp Duty on Inherited Property

Postby someone » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:33 am

Only if there's consideration - your wife is paying you for her share or there's a mortgage on the property. If it's a gift to your wife with no mortgage involved then there will be no SDLT.

Paulcox74

Re: Stamp Duty on Inherited Property

Postby Paulcox74 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:29 pm

That's great, thanks.

Return to “Property Taxation”