This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Limitation act or TMA - Time Limits for enforcement

Novat
Re: Limitation act or TMA - Time Limits for enforcement

Postby Novat » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:32 am

In that case one wonders what the point of having a 20 year time limit for fraud is.

maths

Postby maths » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:59 pm

Good point.

HMRC prosecutors like the common law of cheat as it is broad ranging with good sentence imposition compared to the very specific offences detailed in TMA 1970 or elsewhere (eg Theft Act). There is now of course a general fraud offence (Fraud Act 2006).

Bottom line......... don't cheat !!

Novat

Postby Novat » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:16 pm

Agreed. I can see how the proceeds of crime act might apply even after the 20 years had passed so the tax owed would need to be paid. There is no limitation on criminal acts.

Although technically I assume that once the 20 years have passed I can't see how the standard interest or penalties could be applied.

Return to “Income Tax”