This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Declaration of trust and historical ownership for CGT

Birdruth
Declaration of trust and historical ownership for CGT

Postby Birdruth » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:46 am

I own a rental property with my husband as joint tenants. We're planning on doing a declaration of trust and Form 17 to change the beneficial ownership of the property as I am a non taxpayer + my husband is a basic rate taxpayer.

I've read up on this and am happy with most of it but have a couple of questions. We would plan on doing one declaration now and then one reverting to 50:50 beneficial ownership before selling. (In plenty of time)

1. When we come to sell the property, is any account taken of the historical proportions owned beneficially, or is it just the proportions at the time of sale?

2. As I understand it we would run into difficulties with the mortgage and stamp duty land tax if we were to change the ownership of the mortgaged portion, is that right?

I had assumed we'd leave the mortgaged portion (50%) alone. So a declaration of trust would declare that I owned 75% (half of the 50% mortgaged​ + all of the other 50%).

Many thanks,
Ruth

maths

Re: Declaration of trust and historical ownership for CGT

Postby maths » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:54 pm

1. When we come to sell the property, is any account taken of the historical proportions owned beneficially, or is it just the proportions at the time of sale?
Proportions at the time.
2. As I understand it we would run into difficulties with the mortgage and stamp duty land tax if we were to change the ownership of the mortgaged portion, is that right?
As legal title to the property is held as joint tenants you will also be joint mortgagors. Any change in the respective beneficial interest may trigger an SDLT charge depending upon the numbers.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”