This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Capital gains on single residential property?

Dbem
Capital gains on single residential property?

Postby Dbem » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:19 am

I have rented out my only property during the last 7 -8 years as I was working in a different part of the country. During this time I have needed to rent properties for myself at a higher rate than the rent I recieved.so have not really made any profit or gain. Also my last tenants left owing more than £5000 in rent arrears and I had to pay a further £1000 in costs to secure an eviction and seek possession of the property. I have now retired and want to sell my property and move house. Will I be liable for capital gains? If so how much will it be calulated on? The property value has not increased in that time. If anything it has decreased since 2009 when I originally put it on the market for £129, 500. It is now on the market for £120, 000.

pawncob

Re: Capital gains on single residential property?

Postby pawncob » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:19 pm

Was it your PPR at any time? Details of occupation required.
How long have you owned it? What was the cost?
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Dbem

Postby Dbem » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:25 am

I bought the property as RTB in July 2003 for £20k, It was valued at about £38k. It was my PPR until I moved to a new job in 2007 although I did not begin renting it out until 2009 when I was still unable to sell it

Dbem

Postby Dbem » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:29 am

The property has been empty since May 2016 when I took possession again. I have been paying Council tax and all bills since then although not living in the property as I am living in rented accommodation elsewhere until I sell.

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:09 pm

2003 to 2009 (plus 18 moths) is exempt as PPR
2009 to sale date is chargeable, but subject to letting relief.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manual ... al/cg64710
https://www.gov.uk/tax-sell-home
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”