This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Stamp duty payable on shared property

HAHA
Stamp duty payable on shared property

Postby HAHA » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:28 pm

I was given by my mother a quarter share in her home before she passed away. At the time, no stamp duty was paid.

I lived with my mother in her home until her death. I now want to buy out the remainder of the share of the property that remains in her estate. Do I have to pay stamp duty on this element?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

maths

Re: Stamp duty payable on shared property

Postby maths » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:52 pm

It seems that your mother did not leave her remaining interest in the property to you which seems a bit strange?

If you do not inherit but purchase the share then depending upon the consideration you pay, SDLT may be payable.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”