This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax allowance

Half full
Tax allowance

Postby Half full » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:58 pm

My salary is 60k per annum and For the last 12 months and up to October I have 2k per month taken in AVC,s, I am to retire in October of this year; Question will I need to pay back the 40% tax relief; due to retiring part through the tax year (my pension/income will be small for the first couple of years from November this year(5k per annum)

Hope you can help;

Thank you.

Half full!

AmanSood

Re: Tax allowance

Postby AmanSood » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:26 am

You won't have to pay back tax relief but your pension payments would be taxable at 20% (given your level of income in this tax year). It may therefore be worthwhile delaying taking out your pension (state and private pension) until next year (depending of course on the amount of your pension).
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

someone

Postby someone » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:19 pm

You won't have to pay back tax relief but your pension payments would be taxable at 20% (given your level of income in this tax year). It may therefore be worthwhile delaying taking out your pension (state and private pension) until next year (depending of course on the amount of your pension).
Won't his income be 30K (ish) this tax year, therefore he will only get 20% tax relief on his pension contributions this year?

But the pension company will only claim 20% tax relief anyway so there shouldn't be any "40% tax relief" to repay.

Although there shouldn't be any additional tax to repay, his tax code may have been adjusted to take account of his pension contributions. But I don't know how that might affect any balancing payment at the end of the tax year.

He may, or may not, be better not paying into his pension for the rest of the year as the only tax relief he will get is on the 25% tax free lump sum unless his pension will be inside the tax free allowance. (My own view is that it's not worth paying into a pension and tying up the money with all the vagarities of changes of taxes on pensions in the future in return for a nominal amount of tax relief)

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:06 pm

Although there shouldn't be any additional tax to repay, his tax code may have been adjusted to take account of his pension contributions. But I don't know how that might affect any balancing payment at the end of the tax year.
This is how I read the question.

If relief has been given via his tax code, that relief will not be due and will be clawed back.

Half full

Postby Half full » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:13 pm

Thank you all.

Much appreciated.

Terry

Return to “Income Tax”