This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Higher Stamp Duty on renting main residence

Claire22
Higher Stamp Duty on renting main residence

Postby Claire22 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:06 pm

Hi

My partner and I (not married) lived together over 15 years

I took my name off our house and bought my own main residence.

My partner stayed until he found a property, moved in his new main residence and sold our original home at the same time.

We then decided to get back together, our thoughts are for him to move in with me and we rent out his main residence. We will both only own one property each.

Can we do that seeing as both of us only paid the standard rate to buy our properties and if so, is there a stipulated time we have to wait until we can legally rent out his home?

I have looked at the following link and the closest example is No.16, however, we are not selling or buying any more properties, we are not married and will only own one property each, although my partners will no longer be his main residence.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... properties

maths

Re: Higher Stamp Duty on renting main residence

Postby maths » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:22 pm

There are no SDLT consequences re your proposals.

SDLT applies when land is purchased for consideration.

No-one is buying in your scenario.

Claire22

Re: Higher Stamp Duty on renting main residence

Postby Claire22 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:39 pm

Thank you for your reply.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”