This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Income received during tax year when I was not a UK resident employee

RJC021
Income received during tax year when I was not a UK resident employee

Postby RJC021 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:55 am

Hello

I am in the process of completing my UK 2016-17 tax return.

I worked in the UK until July 2015 and then I transferred to Australia, where I work for the same company.
In 2015-16 I was UK resident for tax purposes (split treatment) but for the 2016-17 tax year, I am not UK resident.

In June 2016, I received a bonus and although most of it was paid into my Australian bank account, a portion was paid into my UK bank account and tax was deducted in the UK. (This was because the bonus related to the year 1 April 2015 - 31 March 2016 and I was working in the UK for 3-4 months of that year).

Should this UK amount be disclosed in my 2016-17 UK tax return as it was received in that tax year? And if so, where? Or should it be disclosed as an adjustment to my 2015-16 return?

Many thanks

AmanSood

Re: Income received during tax year when I was not a UK resident employee

Postby AmanSood » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:46 am

The amount was paid in the 2016/17 tax year and therefore should be disclosed on your 2016/17 UK tax return. However, given the time you spent back working in the UK, you may have UK tax residence issues which is worth looking into.
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

RJC021

Re: Income received during tax year when I was not a UK resident employee

Postby RJC021 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:04 am

Hi, thank you for your reply

I am a UK citizen, but now working in Australia and paid locally in Australian dollars, so for the purposes of the 2016-17 tax year, I am not considered a UK resident (I have confirmed this using the Statutory Residence Test Indicator on the HMRC website), nor was I a UK employee at any time in that year.
Are you saying that I should disclose the bonus in the employment section of the tax return, even though I wasn't a UK employee during the tax year?

Thank you!

Return to “Income Tax”