This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK tax on transfer of gifted money + tax on life insurance?

gengis1982
UK tax on transfer of gifted money + tax on life insurance?

Postby gengis1982 » Mon May 29, 2017 4:09 pm

Hello,

I have these two following questions regarding inheritance and tax. I would be very grateful to get your views/input.

Context - I am French and have been living in the UK for the past 9 years. I am therefore a UK resident. My parents are UK non-resident, UK non-domiciled and have no asset or economic interest in the UK. They live in France.

Question 1 - My parents are about to donate a gift of money. The French law authorise parents to donate money exempt of tax every 15 years. From a French perspective, I will therefore not be liable to pay tax on this gift. I am however planning to transfer this money to the UK and want to make sure that I am not liable on any UK tax? I would be grateful if you could please confirm this statement. I do understand that tax will have to be paid on any subsequent revenue generated from this gift. But my question is really on whether tax need to be paid when I transfer the money from France to the UK? Lastly, I am also wondering whether I will be required to declare to the British authorities that I have received this gift?

Question 2 - 15 years ago, prior to moving to the UK, I received a first donation of money, which I then invested in France in a life insurance scheme. According to French law, because this life insurance has now come to maturity (invested for 10 years), I am now allowed to take the money out without having to pay any tax on the generated interest. However, I am now a UK resident and was wondering whether I would need to declare this income and pay tax on it in the UK?

Thanks a lot for your help. I look forward to reading from you.

maths

Re: UK tax on transfer of gifted money + tax on life insurance?

Postby maths » Tue May 30, 2017 2:03 pm

There is no UK tax liability on the monetary gift from overseas or any need to report it.

The life policy is likely to be a single premium non-qualifying life policy. If so then the gain arising on maturity is subject to income tax. Given that you were not UK resident for 6 of the 15 years some 6/15ths of any gain should not be taxed.

gengis1982

Postby gengis1982 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:21 pm

Hi Maths, thanks for your help. Much appreciated!

susandan82

Postby susandan82 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:29 am

There are circumstances when the government may levy a tax against life insurance, but this usually occurs only with permanent life policies or with beneficiaries.

marsor

Postby marsor » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:28 pm

Very interesting. Can I add-on a slight variation of the life-insurance question?

I bought a fund-based life-insurance in Germany in 2004 with monthly premiums, moved to the UK in 2008, stopped paying premiums in 2010 and finally liquidated the life-insurance in 2016 (EUR ~50,000). Under German law I didn't have to pay taxes, since I held the insurance for >12 years.

Does maths answer hold for this as well and I have to pay CGT on 8/12ths of the gains? Can I somehow deduct the (significant) fees I paid on the insurance (sign-up fee, administration fee, etc)?

Thanks a lot!

Return to “International Tax”