This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Buying a % of house from parents

Kathy_89
Buying a % of house from parents

Postby Kathy_89 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:17 pm

My parents owe roughly £160,000 on an interest only mortgage. They have no way of ever paying this off and there only option is to sell the house. Would I be able to buy a % of the house in order to pay off some of the debt? I could afford a mortgage myself to buy 80% of the house but couldn't afford a mortgage for the whole amount they owe. Is this an option and what would be the tax implications?

maths

Re: Buying a % of house from parents

Postby maths » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:45 pm

Yes you could as you suggest.

Problem is on any future sale you will have a cgt liability (assuming you don't live there).

Might be better for you to get the mortgage which you lend to them. They pay off their mortgage and leave you the house in their will. No CGT charge then arises although you don't own any part of their house until the death of the later of mum/dad. This would also be effective for IHT if mum/dad exposed to it.

Return to “Property Taxation”