This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Extremely late VAT deregistration.

Stetrip
Extremely late VAT deregistration.

Postby Stetrip » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:41 pm

I have just received an amended VAT registration certificate for a business that I left in feb 2015!

I filled out all of the forms to cancel my VAT registration at the time of leaving the business but had to leave shortly after due to going into full time employment with a fixed start date.
I left the business and my ex business partner continued to run the business as a sole trader. Since leaving he's made everything very difficult for me and told me he has lost all of the company's files as he moved units.
  • If my VAT deregistration was declined and I was unaware of it, will I have 2 years worth of fines for overdue VAT returns? Even though I have not been collecting VAT as I am no longer self employed?
  • How do I go about deregistering for a business that closed so long ago?
  • Has anyone delt with a similar situation before or know what would be best to do?
The whole situation has me really worried. :(
I need an accountant that can help me out. I have no idea what the outcome of this may be, any help would really be appreciated.

Steve

les35

Re: Extremely late VAT deregistration.

Postby les35 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:43 am

Your Accountant should explain the history, and advise the date you ceased to trade. It may be a matter of proving facts, so you will need evidence of you starting your full time employment.

Stetrip

Re: Extremely late VAT deregistration.

Postby Stetrip » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:43 pm

Our accountant didn't handle our VAT only our income tax. My ex business partner's mother handled calculating and submitting our VAT returns and we just payed the bill.
Should I send off another registration form along with a letter explaining my situation along with as much evidence as i can?
I'm sure my boss will be able to dig out my contract start date etc.

Thanks for your reply.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”