This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Can you reverse a property gift if both agree

Umar
Can you reverse a property gift if both agree

Postby Umar » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:45 pm

Hi

I hadn't realised that a gift of a property is treated as at market value, and therefore CGT is due.

Is it possible to reverse the transaction somehow, such that the CGT isn't due any more?

Thanks

pawncob

Re: Can you reverse a property gift if both agree

Postby pawncob » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:02 pm

Land transactions have to be evidenced in writing. If there's a document showing the gift, then it's a legal transfer, notwithstanding that it hasn't yet been registered at the LR.
It can't (legally) be undone, but it can be reversed by another gift. (Doesn't alleviate the CGT problem)
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Umar

Postby Umar » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:46 pm

Understand.

These properties were in reality moved and held on trust by the people who now legally own them as per the land reg, although no legal documentation to back that trust up.

Could I create a formal trust document to document that, and then apply for hold over relief, and thereby eliminate the pregnant CGT issue I have?

Thanks!

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:45 pm

I'm not quite sure how you can create a fully fledged trust/settlement (rather than a bare trust/nominee arrangement), making holdover relief available, without any documentation. . How would the settlor/trustee agree on the terms/beneficiaries/powers etc.?

If that was the true intention then it may be arguable that the new legal owner is holding the property as nominee for the settlor until the trust deed is executed but you need to be confident that that is the true position.

Umar

Postby Umar » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:56 pm

Understand

Is holdover relief available for a bare trust?

Umar

Postby Umar » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:08 pm

The arrangement was agreed verbally, and it is definitely a trust.

If I say the assets are held as nominee until trust execution, I can then hold the gain over?

someone

Postby someone » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:00 pm

I really think you need to seek professional advice. There's a whole heap of trouble you could get into - not least it's possible you've given the property to the "trustees" and anything *you* try to do with it now could potentially be seen a fraud as they now own it and have to decide what to do with it. In particular, any trust you create after the transfer to the "trustees" could be ineffective and, years down the line, see your intended beneficiaries being sued by the "trustees" next of kin for return of their inheritance.

I recall reading something in a legal forum where the fishing rights on some land had been sold and then the land had been sold. Due to various mixups, the sale of the land didn't explicitly exclude the fishing rights. Everyone had been happy for years and years until it came to light that HMLR had no record of the fishing rights and now refused to register them separately for B because it couldn't be proved that A had transferred them to B before A had done the transfer of everything to C. If A->B happened first then C didn't get the fishing rights as A wasn't in a position to sell them to C. If A->C happened first then B didn't get the fishing rights as again, A wasn't in a position to sell them. All the contracts would have been OK in themselves but B was now faced with an uphill task (and presumably expensive and not guaranteed) proving that he owned what he paid for.

I guess what some of the others are alluding to is that it's possible the trustees are holding it as nominee for yourself in a bare trust. I have no idea if that's possible unless there's a trust documented. I also have no idea whether your verbal agreement would be binding on the trustee in that case. But, if there is a bare trust, and if your verbal agreement isn't binding then it might be possible to stop everything at this point in which case, my guess is you won't have crystalized your capital gains yet.

But whatever happens next, you've got a legal mess to sort out. HMRC may demand CGT from you. Your intended beneficiaries may have a claim against you for carelessly losing a promised gift. The person or people you've transferred it to may not be in a position or willing to honour your wishes. And unless you get something rock solid sorted out now, there's a good chance that people might start fighting over it after you are dead when you aren't around to explain what your intentions were and the mixup comes to light.

At this point I have no idea whether you need an accountant or a lawyer, or possibly both.

Worst case is that you've lost everything and have CGT to pay. It sounds like the "trustee" is willing to work with you to sort this out so, actually, if you get advice and sort it out now, I think worst case is that you can't avoid the CGT (unless the trustee is bankrupt or something like that) but you can get the property to where it was intended.
Best case is that it is actually possible to unwind this in a way that gets you back to where you were without triggering CGT. But if that is possible, then it's going to have to be done in a way that stands up to HMRC scrutiny. If it isn't possible then there's nothing you can do and, IMO, trying to sweep it under the carpet now is likely to make things worse in the future.

FWIW, I have taken preliminary advice on transferring a property into a bare trust without changing the beneficial owner (nothing to do with tax - voting rights are capped in the management company and the share is held by the legal owner so it is a way to own multiple flats but retain all the votes) and I was told that it was possible and would not trigger a CGT charge regardless of whether the trustee was a connected person or not. I haven't actually tried to do it yet, and my circumstances aren't yet in the situation where it makes sense to do it, so I have no idea what is actually involved - and I'd want a written confirmation on the CGT side once I've got all the facts rather than just a "yes, it's certainly possible"

Umar

Postby Umar » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:53 pm

I certainly agree that I need professional advice - I'm here for some help prior to that!
In my (very limited) experience, different advisers tell you different things, and some are more creative than others in finding solutions.

OK, so the trustees and beneficiaries are completely obliging and recognise the issue, so that side is easy.
It's the HMRC bit I'm worried about.

One interesting point you've made is whether a bare trust actually crystallises anything from a tax perspective - that's useful and worth me taking advice one.
Another point is the holding as nominee until the trust is executed.

I'm planning on actually speaking to HMRC about this to explain and get agreement.

someone

Postby someone » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:00 am

I'm planning on actually speaking to HMRC about this to explain and get agreement.
I wouldn't bother. The HMRC helpline that us plebs have access to gives out bad, and sometimes just plain wrong advice.

I think agents have a different line which perhaps is more reliable.

You might have more luck writing in but if it were me I'd get advice first and then maybe write to HMRC asking if they would accept the advice, especially if the advisor seemed less than certain that HMRC would accept whatever you were going to do.

I doubt the phoneline can agree to accept anything so you might get worthless promises.

Umar

Postby Umar » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:47 am

OK thanks for your advice.

Basically I'm just trying to hold over the gain on assets moved into verbal trusts, but not sure if that's allowed.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”