This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Moving abroad

asdf6868
Moving abroad

Postby asdf6868 » Fri May 05, 2017 1:31 pm

I am moving to AbuDhabi to work in a local company on 2 years contract.My family would be in UK only.I would be visiting my family once in 3 months for a week.Do I need to pay income tax in UK ?

greybags1

Re: Moving abroad

Postby greybags1 » Fri May 05, 2017 2:21 pm

This may help answer some of your questions - https://www.gov.uk/tax-right-retire-abroad-return-to-uk

maths

Postby maths » Fri May 05, 2017 4:20 pm

The issue is simply one of residence during your period of absence from the UK.

If you are non-UK resident for the period you work abroad then no UK income tax arises on your salary; if, however, you remain UK resident UK income tax will be payable thereon.

It is highly likely that under the UK's Statutory Residence Test (SRT) you will fall to be treated as non-UK resident and hence no UK income tax on the salary.

Check the SRT.

srs259

Postby srs259 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:17 pm

But if you spend less than 16 days in the UK during a tax year, aren't you then automatically non resident and the SRT need not be considered?

Return to “Income Tax”